Welcome to the Learning Resource Centre!
Mrs Hoskins and Mrs Burrell are here to help you with your studies from year 7 to 13. The Gryphon School’s Learning Resource Centre (LRC) offers over 15,000 off the shelf resources including books, DVDs, magazines and newspapers. Students can access thousands of recommended and approved websites and databases via the Library Catalogue. The LRC follows an open plan layout and is divided over two floors- the lower floor has 17 computers and the upper mezzanine has 54 PCs dedicated to Sixth Form use.
Students also have access to:
- Qualified, knowledgeable and dedicated staff
- Comprehensive LRC induction and ongoing assistance for students
- Extensive seating and study space
- Scanners and photocopier available for student use
- Stationery shop
- New titles added weekly
- Interactive Library catalogue which students can also access via an app on their mobile devices.
- Extensive range of fiction
- Research sessions available
- Secure lockers for storing and charging electronic devices
- Open Monday to Thursday 8.30-5pm, and Friday 8.30-4pm
(Year 7 Induction lesson using iPads and scanning QR codes to link to videos telling them about the different areas of the LRC)
Sixth Form Study
The Learning Resource Centre is built on two levels and the upper mezzanine is for Sixth Form use only. This area consists of two wings allowing plenty of space for students to work individually. There are 54 PCs on the upper floor and access to WiFi for students who wish to bring their own laptops and devices. The LRC offers research skills sessions to support students of any year in their studies.
Sessions on offer include:
- Referencing and bibliography
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Extended Project Qualification research
These are just some of the skills covered by the LRC staff and they always on hand to help with individual queries.