We are looking for exceptional candidates to join us as part of the School Direct Programme. To join us at The Gryphon you will need to have a passion for your subject grounded in academic achievement as well as a deep commitment to working with young people to transform their lives through education.
The Gryphon is part of the North Dorset Partnership comprised of The Gryphon School, Gillingham School, Shaftesbury School and Sturminster Newton High School working in conjunction with The University of Exeter and the Mid- Somerset Consortium (MSC) to train suitable candidates for the postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE). Both the University of Exeter and the MSC ITT programmes are classed as Outstanding by Ofsted
All our placements are for the ‘fee paying’ route. Trainees pay tuition fees of £9,000, although some trainees may be entitled to a bursary of up to £30,000 (dependent on subject and degree class). In exceptional circumstances there may be the opportunity for trainees to follow the salaries option and any trainee who wishes to discuss this is asked to contact the individual schools directly.
At The Gryphon we are passionate about developing the next generation of outstanding teachers. We are looking for graduates with passion, enthusiasm and commitment to join us in transforming the life chances of our students through exceptional teaching.
What is School Direct?
School Direct is a school based route into teaching offered by The Gryphon School leading to a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE). The Gryphon School, working in partnership with The University of Exeter and the Mid- Somerset Consortium (MSC), recruits and select our own trainees in identified subjects.
Trainees will work alongside our experienced staff and spend a greater proportion of their time in the classroom and in school. The Gryphon School has worked alongside the University of Exeter and MSC for many years and has considerable expertise in training teachers. All candidates will follow the full PGCE course offered by the University of Exeter or the Mid-Somerset Consortium.
The selection criteria
- You must have a first or second class UK University degree
- You must have at least a grade C in GCSE English and Mathematics
- You must have passed all the appropriate skills tests
- You will be able to demonstrate a desire to work with secondary aged students
- You will have a commitment to the highest quality of education for all
- 50% of your degree must be in the subject which you wish to train to teach
The selection process
Potential trainees who are selected for interview will be informed in writing and given a date for interview. The interview process will include some or all of the following:
- Teaching – potential trainees are asked to teach a short lesson something to the other trainees and the Selection Panel, or to a group of students.
- A meeting with the department –a subject specific group exercise where the potential trainees meet the HoD, the mentor and 1 or 2 other members of the department to assess suitability to work with the department via a subject based discussion.
- Student panel – potential trainees will be interviewed by a panel of students
- Generic lesson observation (1/2 lesson)
- Formal interview – panel interview with members of the Selection Panel (and if available a member of the appropriate HEI)
Trainees will be also be required to complete a Disclosure and Baring Service form once the position has been offered.
How do we decide which trainees should be placed with which schools?
If more than one school within a partnership is offering a subject training place candidates will be required to express a preference at the point if application. If their first preference cannot be met they can be offered an alternative place within the partnership
Applications for our positions are now open. For more information on school direct visit:
- http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/school-based-training/school- direct.aspx
- For more information about initial teacher education at the University of Exeter visit: http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/education/pgce/
- For more information about initial teacher education at the Mid Somerset Consortium visit: www.mscitt.org.uk
- For an informal chat by phone or in person, please contact:
|General Enquiries||Justine Hollandemail@example.com||01935 811063|
|The Gryphon School||Tim Ovendenfirstname.lastname@example.org||01935 810107|
|Gillingham School||Jo Hallemail@example.com||01747 822222|
|Shaftesbury School||Shelley Coombsfirstname.lastname@example.org||01747 854498|
|SNHS||David Harrisemail@example.com||01258 472642|