Health and Social Care
Key Stage 4 Health & Social Care
Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Health and Social Care
BTECs are vocationally related qualifications, where learners
- develop knowledge and understanding by applying their learning and skills in a work-related context
- engage young learners in taking responsibility for their own learning
- develop essential work-related skills, such as working to deadlines and presenting information effectively
The course covers ALL age ranges from early years right through to older adults, looking at development across the years and how needs change within each age range according to a range of factors. It is important to highlight at this point that this is a child care course although we do cover elements around children but in equal balance to all life stages across the years.
You will complete four units – two in each year (Y10 & Y11)
There are two Mandatory Units that have to be completed:
- Unit 1: Human Lifespan Development – this has an externally set assessment where you will complete a 60-minute examination worth 50 marks – this unit is based on ‘How do people grow and develop throughout their lives? How can lifestyle choices, relationships and life events affect your growth and development’
- Unit 2: Health and Social Care Values – internally set assessment through assignments – in this unit you will learn ‘What is good practice in health and social care? What ensures that good practice is applied to support individuals who use health and social care services?
The other two optional units will be decided once we know the range and number of students.
Internally set work will cover a wide range of outcomes – written reports, displays, visits to a range of health and social care placements, presentations, handbooks and other forms of assessment.
- The Award will be graded Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* and is equivalent to one GCSE
- To achieve a Level 2 Pass you must have satisfied all the Pass criteria
- To achieve a Level 2 Merit you must additionally have satisfied all the Merit criteria – so Pass & Merit
- To achieve a Level 2 Distinction you must meet Pass/merit and satisfied all the Distinction or Distinction* criteria
(If for any reason you do not satisfy the Level 2 criteria you may achieve a Level 1 if those criteria are met)
If you would like to find out more or talk about the course before making a decision then come and talk with Mrs Brighouse in the Health & Social Care Department.