Following feedback from parents, teachers and governors, The Gryphon School is introducing standard skirts and trousers as school uniform. The specific skirts and trousers will be compulsory for Year 7 students starting in September 2018 and for replacement items for older students throughout the year. This will then be rolled out to be compulsory for Year 7-11 from September 2019.
We want to give parents enough notice prior to them purchasing school uniform for the coming school year. The skirts and trousers are produced by Banner, and will be available from Sporting Classics in Sherborne as well as online. The items were chosen for their quality and durability, and will ensure students look smart and presentable for school.
By standardising the uniform we hope to avoid any confusion for parents when buying uniform, and ensure consistent standards across the school. Examples of the uniform can be seen in Conference Reception.
Uniform Choices from September 2018Download
School uniform expectations for all in Years 7-11:
- Navy sweatshirt and white polo shirt with the school emblem
- Black trousers (boys and girls) – smart/tailored low lycra content. Not jeans or any trousers that in any way have the styling of jeans, chino’s or skinny/tight fitting/fashion trousers, including jeggings/leggings/ 3/4 lengths. (NB Please be aware of changing guidelines from Sept 2018 – see top of page)
- Black skirt – knee length. No tube style/tight fitting/jersey clingy material/short skater skirts. (NB Please be aware of changing guidelines from Sept 2018 – see top of page)
- Black shoes or black trainers – only if no designs or coloured panels/edging or laces.
- Pierced ears – one stud in each year – no facial piercings and no other jewellery worn.
- Nail varnish and heavy make-up are also not part of the school uniform and will be removed if worn. No extreme hair colours.
For sports, the uniform for all in Years 7-11 is:
- Navy blue with red stripe reversible plain navy rugby/hockey shirt
- Navy, short-sleeved, button neck and collar sports shirt
- Navy blue shorts or jogging bottoms
- Navy blue long socks
- White short socks
- Sports boots with studs
Gryphon School Uniform
Gum shields and shin pads are strongly recommended
Those with pierced ears should only wear one stud in each ear. Extreme hairstyles and hair colours are not permitted since they are felt to be incompatible with uniform. In Sixth Form, there is an agreed dress code.
Personal property at school:
- If in doubt, parents are requested to seek advice about interpretation of these guidelines
- It is essential to name all items of clothing
- Lost property can be collected from the lost property store by the Geography cabins each day between 1.45 pm and 2.00 pm
- If your child is unable for any reason to temporarily attend in full school uniform, you must write to the tutor to explain why and indicate how the situation is being corrected
Suggested uniform stockists
Gryphon branded items as well as the new standard skirts and trousers can be purchased from:
Sporting Classics, Sherborne
Uniform at The Gryphon School 2017 and BeyondDownload