University and Careers
For students researching universities we recommend visiting this website – it is an excellent guide into the range of options available to students after they leave the Sixth Form https://www.uniapplicationpro.org/
Students can book an individual careers guidance interview with Mr Martin, Careers, Advice & Guidance Manager by visiting the Careers Office in the LRC or following the ‘Careers’ link on the Intranet. Mr Martin offers expert, impartial guidance on the following topics:
- Career Planning
- UCAS advice
- Employment, Training and Apprenticeships
- Work Shadowing
- A Level choice
- Personal statements
- Student finance
- CVs, applications, cover letters and interview skills
- Interest guides
- School leaver opportunities – apprenticeships, jobs & training schemes
Students also have access to a wide range of careers related activities and initiatives including:
- Careers Café – Regular talks from leading professionals including an Architect, Barrister, Psychologist, Veterinary Surgeon, Journalist and Photographer
- Work Shadowing – Opportunity for students to ‘shadow’ an experienced member of staff in an occupational area of interest.
- Employer Visits/Talks – Visits to local employers to look at employment opportunities. Talks from employers coming into school on progression opportunities and general employment advice.
- Apprenticeship Workshops – Giving students an awareness of apprenticeships locally and nationally.
- University talks – Regular advice regarding Higher Education including personal statements, finance and graduate careers.
- Oxbridge Access Workshops – Specialist workshops for those considering an application to Oxford or Cambridge University.
- Pre-University Taster Courses – eg Medlink and London Tasters.
- “Astar” – A presentation to promote study at Non-UK Universities
- UCAS Convention and Conference – Visit to UCAS Convention at UWE and Oxbridge Conference at Epsom.
- University Summer Schools – eg Sutton Trust
- Gryphon Alumni – Talks from past students regarding Universities, Careers and Gap Years.
- Gap Years – Talks from Gap Year companies and an invitation to attend a Gap Year Fair at Sherborne Girls School.
- Promotion of open days, taster days and career opportunities via the bulletin, assemblies and tutor periods.
We are extremely proud of our continued and consistent success at the very highest level for our students who wish to go to university reflected in our Oxbridge programme having an extremely high percentage of interviews to places awarded. We work hard to tailor our support for every student as we know the decision is personal based on your academic passions and aspirations. Over 96% go to a university of their choice and we are proud that many of our students come back year after year to help support our current cohorts in their academic journey.
Also on this page,
University Destinations 2018Download